Growing up I used to to always make ginger beer with my dad and siblings. It is a simple and straightforward recipe. If you love ginger you will love this recipe. Firstly I will be sharing the basic homemade recipe. Then I’ll be sharing how I mix it with lemon iced tea to create a delicious drink.
What You Need:
- Raw Ginger (2 cups)
- Ginger cloves
- Strainer/ Clean Kitchen cloth
What To Do:
- First you wash the ginger.
- If it’s a dark brown peel the skin, to prevent the ginger beer from having a dark colour.
- Then put the ginger into the blender; adding equal amounts of water (making sure ginger is fully covered by the water).
- Now blend until grounded up.
- Once done, transfer it to a clean kitchen cloth/ strainer that’s over a container or bowl to collect the drink.
- Then depending on the straining method used, squeeze out all the liquid into the container.
- You should then have remaining particles of the ginger root.
- If the ginger still smells really strong, repeat the process adding less water.
- Once done leave the ginger beer in the container to sit for 30mins – 1 hour, to allow the excess starch from the ginger to separate.
- After it has has separated, on the bottom you will see a white layer (starch) and clear ginger beer on top.
- Pour the top layer into another container making sure to leave the starchy layer behind.
- Now add a few ginger cloves and mix.
- Then add your desired sugar amount.
- Now Enjoy!
- Add more raw ginger if you’re making ginger beer for more people, that way you can repeat the straining process.
- Another way to prepare your drink is add (1/2 cup) lemon iced tea and (1/2 cup) of your ginger beer into a glass and enjoy.
( Don’t miss out on latest posts!
Sign up for free below & get notified whenever there is a new blog post).
*This post may have affiliate links, If you click these links I may receive a small commission with no extra cost to you*